Magnolia sprengeri 'Diva'
The big pink flowered tree behind the potting sheds, you
won't miss it.
This fabulous magnolia was planted in 1980 from a cutting of the
original tree introduced into the UK by the plant hunter Ernest
Henry Wilson (1876-1930).
Wilson collected seeds of the Magnolia during his first plant
hunting trip, in autumn 1900, in south-western China. The seeds
were sent back under the code W.688 to his employers the famous
Veitch Nurseries based in Chelsea and Exeter. By 1914 when the
Chelsea branch closed the firm had been responsible for introducing
an astonishing 1281 plants which were either previously unknown or
newly bred varieties.
The resulting magnolia trees raised from the seeds sent by
Wilson were sold in 1913 and one of the plants was purchased by J.
C. Williams of Carheys castle in cornwall. This one plant
when it flowered in 1919 turned out to be the pink flowered 'Diva'.
All the other plants from this collection turned out to be the
It is from this one pink flowered magnolia that our tree
originated from as a cutting.